When the Star City Corvette Club from Roanoke, Virginia, visited, we had them out and served lunch in the garage for about 20 people. Because we have lots of Corvette friends who come to shows at the NCM, we built a bunk room on the third floor with four bunks. This also comes in handy when our children and grandchildren come for holidays. So far, we have owned 14 Corvettes and three have been in this garage-a '98 Corvette pace car, a '78 Corvette pace car, and an '07 Z06. Since we moved in December 2005, we have also owned two yellow SSRs, a '96 Dark Cherry Impala SS, an '06 Impala, an '07 Avalanche, an '08 Cobalt, and a '10 Equinox. We have not owned any make but Chevrolet since 1997. Even our dog is named Bow Tie.
On January 11 of this year, we sold this house and bought another north of Nashville. As luck would have it, the ceiling in the garage is 10 feet, 21/2 inches tall. Ten feet is the height needed to stack the Corvette and the SSR. I guess I will begin working on my next garage soon. Who knows what it will be called.
By The Numbers Garage Specs
30'x31'6" with 11-ft-tall ceilings overall, shop/storage 10'7"x11'8" with over 210 sq. ft. of shelves and double metal doors. Work bench (3'x8') folds against deep shelves. HVAC closet 6'x3'6"
• Concrete pad floor covered with black and white Kiwi Tile flooring. One-foot-thick concrete 11 ft.-high right side wall (studded with 2x4s), 2x6 studded front garage door wall (right garage door 8'x8' and left garage door is 16'x9'6"). Both doors are insulated and have windows, 2x6 stud wall left side exterior with two high-efficiency 3'x5' Marvin double hung windows, and 2x4 interior (back) wall with 36"x48" Plexiglas window into pool room. Steel walk-through door (36") between garage and pool room.
Here's Andy in his infamous Crocodile Dundee hat and leather fringe jacket. I really don't
• 11-8' Fluorescent lights and 3-8' fluorescent lights in shop/storage room. 15 outlets near ceiling with top plug-in wired on one switch for neon lights, clocks, C5 logo Christmas lights, etc.
• Stinger 7,000-lb. lift with aluminum drive-on ramps custom painted red and black, drip tray, and jack bridge.
• 200 amp service for each floor. Seven outlets 36" off floor on GFI. Double outlets in ceiling at garage motor locations (great for hanging and powering trouble lights)
Heating and Cooling
• One Heil 3-ton unit for each floor (three floors) garage heated and cooled.
• Craftsman portable 2 hp 8 gallon. (small but very handy)
• Craftsman double toolbox on wheels. Other storage units made by Stanley. Andy now considers Stanley storage units are not manufactured for constant garage use and now recommends Gladiator Garage Works products. Five tire & wheel/ memorabilia shelves are made of 2x12s and are painted black to match window and door trim. They are hung with white chain from Lowe's.
• Many collections, framed posters, clocks, pins, plaques, posters, key chains, shot glasses, thermometers, license plates, metal signs, tires and wheels, and die-casts. One of my favorite collections is Corvette art work by Dana Forrester. Two stop lights and one walk/don't walk light, all with sequencers. Favorite autographs and photos: Zora Arkus-Duntov, and Jay Leno.